Aboriginal Families Survey Results [CLOSED]
Aboriginal Families Survey Results
In 2014 Let’s Talk Families BC! we asked families from across BC about the needs and challenges they faced. Over 3,000 people answered the survey, and 11% of respondents identified as First Nations, Metis or Inuit.
About the Aboriginal population that filled out the survey
- 20% of respondents were 30-39, and 31% of respondents were 40-49
- 84% were female
- 83% identified as status First Nations or Inuit
- 75% lived off reserve
- 52% lived primarily in an urban setting; 37% lived primarily in a rural setting
- 62% earned less than $50,000/year
What are the challenges you frequently face?
- Income: 42%
- Jobs or employment: 34%
- Caring for family member: 28%
- Housing: 27%
What are the challenges you sometimes face?
- Community service: 70%
- Physical health: 70%
- Neighbourhood safety: 69%
- Caring for family members: 62%
What challenge have we missed?
- Having time: 22%
- Do you feel that employers and businesses are doing enough to help?
- They are doing too little: 60%
- They are doing enough: 36%
Do you feel like community organizations are doing enough to help?
- They are doing enough: 38%
- They are doing than their fare share: 37%
- Do you feel the government is doing enough to help?
- They are doing too little: 91%
- They are doing enough: 1.5%